Russia and Turkey broker ceasefire in Syria's Idlib - Russian news agencies

Euronews

-

12 June 2019 20:32

You are reading a deleted news piece

This article has been deleted by Euronews on 08 July 2019 12:50. We keep a copy of it on Undelete.news website available for everyone.

MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russia and Turkey have brokered a complete ceasefire in Syria’s Idlib province between Syrian government forces and rebels, Russian news agencies cited the Russian military as saying on Wednesday.

The Russian military said the ceasefire applied to the so-called Idlib de-escalation zone and had led to a significant reduction in violence on Wednesday, Russian news agencies reported.

They did not say how long the ceasefire would last.

Aerial strikes on Monday killed at least 25 people, mostly civilians, in northwestern Syria in the sixth week of a Russian-led military offensive that has so far killed hundreds of civilians, according to residents and civil rescuers.

The violence in Idlib province and a strip of nearby Hama has marked the biggest military escalation between President Bashar al-Assad and his insurgent enemies since last summer.

Tens of thousands of people have fled their homes, many of them sheltering at the Turkish border from air strikes that have killed scores of people.

Turkey had complained to Moscow, which backs the Syrian government, while Russia had said the onus was on Ankara to rein in the rebels.

Idlib is the last significant rebel stronghold.

(Reporting by Andrey Kuzmin; Editing by Andrew Osborn)

ORIGINAL POST

Euronews-Europe-news added by Barbara Bush

Comments

There are no comments yet.

You must log in to post a comment.

Similar news

no